Monday 19 April 2010

A Wet Sunday at Doune

My first ever day a Doune hillclimb was followed by my first ever wet day at Doune hillclimb!

This obviously had a major effect on my ability to improve on Saturday's times and whilst I felt I was pushing a wee bit harder, I was still struggling to come to terms with the blind corners. This meant I was braking far too much (and instantly regretting it) and losing lots of speed and time. Best I could do was 62 secs although my most committed run was my last run but in heavier rain was a 63 secs. This meant I was easily last in class and Alistair Matheson will overtake me in the Lowland Speed Championship.

I can see that getting even a half decent time (under 60sec) here is going to take me a couple of visits.

It was a fantastic experience though. Challenging - yes, exciting - of course, scary - you bet!

I take my hat off to the madmen that can drive their full blown racing cars, at well over 100mph, up that tight, intimidating course in less than 40 seconds. They are truly mad. No joke. But they are also very skilful and very, very good at what they do. No wonder Scotland produces so many talented speed eventers.

Anyway, I've got a couple of weeks off to polish the car before the sprint at Ingliston near Edinburgh. It's nice and local to me and I'm really looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment