Saturday, 24 September 2011
Fixing the fire damage
The front end off
I got the front end off the Saxo so I could clean up the mess from the fire last weekend. After I cleaned up all the dry powder, I removed all the heat wrap off the exhaust. It was well soaked in oil and that was almost certainly what had caught fire on Sunday.
The oil soaked heat wrap
Next job was to remove the alternator. It hasn't worked since I bought the car so it was just dead weight - quite a lot of dead weight at that! Off came the tensioner and bracket too.
The alternator, tensioner and brackets
On further investigation, the exhaust manifold has been damaged at some point, probably in an off at somewhere like Forrestburn. There is a big bash in the down pipe and the impact has almost certainly bent the pipe which is why it is fouling on the oil filter. So, a new manifold will be needed over the winter period. I think I might splash out on a Supersprint 4-2-1 and get it ceramic coated to avoid the dreaded heat wrap.
Bash in the exhaust downpipe
Tight to the oil filter (that's a tiny Subaru filter!)
I fixed a few other wee bits and bobs with parts I picked up from the local scrappy - tailgate strut (so I wont get bashed on the head again!), fuse boxes, and steering column bolts. I've also got the offside headlight to fix.
Next outing is at Kames for the season finale next weekend. Hopefully it will survive that!