Sunday 19 October 2008

Winter planning commences

At this time of year my thoughts turn to what I can do to go faster next season. I've had some wild and crazy ideas - some of which are pure fantasy - some of which might make it to fruition.

First thought was to sell my current MX-5 and buy another one. My idea was to buy a 1998 RS-spec Roadster (Japanese market Mx-5) as the spec includes a 6-speed box, torsen LSD and bilstein dampers. There's a guy selling a white one (the new black!) on Pistonheads right now for £3300 and he's just along the road from me.......

Second thought was to go to 'the dark side' - Forced Induction. This is the cheapest way to get some serious power in an MX-5. For around £4,000 I could have around 220bhp...........

Trouble with both these options is I would need a belly load of cash and with the 'credit crunch' biting, I don't have much. So......

I got thinking about weight reduction. My car was corner-weighted in April and weighed in at an elephantine 1148kg with half a tank fuel and me in it! So, I have come up with the following weight reduction plan:

1. Remove the soft-top and frame (save around 25-30kg)
2. Fit a motorcycle battery (save around 5kg)
3. Replace steering wheel and remove passenger airbag (Save around 2-3kg)
4. Remove radio, speakers and aerial (about 2kg)
5. Lighten bonnet and boot lid (2-5kg)
6. Lighten front and rear bumper mountings (1-2kg)
7. Remove power steering (3-5kg)

The first item will leave me cold and wet but I had planned on getting a removable hard-top to keep me dry.

So, If I go through with it all, I could get the kerb weight down to about 975kg. That would give me a whopping power to weight ratio of 144 bhp/tonne! Should be enough to beat a 205 Rallye ;-)

If I do all that and find another £4,000 for my 220bhp, I'd have nearly 230bhp/tonne - that's in Lotus Exige territory !!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment