Sunday 18 July 2010

2nd Place in Alford Debut

180720101720

Alford is quite a long way away, I've decided. Two and a half hours away to be precise. But it is worth the trip - especially on a day like today where the sun shone bright.

There was a good entry in class A8 - Ian Duncan's RX-7, a TVR, an MR-2 Turbo and another VX220 - a turbo driven by local entrant, Martin Smith. So, five of us in total and with their experience, Martin and Ian were fighting for class honours.

I was giving away at least 100bhp to Martin's machine and he also seems to have spent a fair bit on gearbox, suspension and brakes!

The track itself is a simple oval with two 'cross-overs' which see cars doing a figure of eight on the runs. From the chat beforehand and watching the early competitors, I decided that 60 seconds was my target. The class record was in the 56s.

I started with a 62s run which I was quite pleased with. Ian managed a superb 58.73sec whilst Martin spun off. The other guys were a few seconds behind. I continued to improve and when it came to the timed runs, I put in a 60.07secs. Ian came in at 59.98secs and Martin on high 58secs so it was looking close.

Final run and I managed 59.82 which I was well chuffed with. I got back in time to see Ian's run and he somehow fluffed it and only managed 60.01secs so I 'stole' second place! Martin did 58.30sec - so I was only 1.5 sec behind!

I didn't hang about for the trophies since I had a long trip back but I had a nice roof-down run back down and was home in time to see the kids before they went to bed.

Two weeks now until the big weekend at Kames. I need to have a look at the championship standings to see where I am.

Some photos by John Stewart:




No comments:

Post a Comment