Thursday 23 September 2010

The new car and Doune

Ok, the news is out. I will be competing in grandma's shopping car next season.

I've replaced the fine VX220 with a 1993 Rover Metro GTi. Yes, a Metro. But it is a GTi MPi so it has a whopping 103bhp! Woo Hoo!

It's a bit rough around the edges but seems solid enough and is quite well set up with lowered and stiffened suspension (it uses the good old Hydragas system), a straight through racing exhaust and a really natty shift light!

I've got a pile of spares with the car - I've got a full 6-point cage to fit and I plan to strip the carpets, fit a kirkey seat and see where I can save a wee bit of weight. I've already bought some new alloys and Kuhmo V70 tyres but I'll be getting it through an MOT before I spend any serious money ortime on it.

I took it to Doune at the weekend for its shakedown an was quite impressed by the handling although it will demand a completely different driving style from what I am used to. I need to get used to the understeer and I need to push it hard to see what happens when the back end does go.

On the Saturday, I managed to get into the 61 secs (not far off my VX time) and had it stayed dry, I would certainly have got under 60sec but the Sunday was very wet and whilst I got a semi-dry final run, the best I could do was a high 62 secs.

Peter Locke
caught some video off the startline:



I'm off to Kames on Sunday for a wee test - I'll try and get some video so I can see what sort of times I can expect.

The car takes me into a new class - class A1 in the Scottish championships and class R1 in the Wigton championship. It should be quite competitive and the previous owner had a few class wins and holds some class records so no pressure then.

I'll probably be a bit quiet for a few weeks since my wife is due to give birth again next week.........

No comments:

Post a Comment