Monday 13 April 2009

Kames weekend

Kames 12 April 09
Photo: Douglas Hunter

Just had two fantastic days at Kames Sprint circuit in Ayrshire.

Saturday was a club sprint run in the anti-clockwise direction. Weather was sunny but with a cool wind and the organisation saw us get 6 runs through the day.

I've only done anti-clockwise once before (May 2008) and had managed a 95.04 second run. I was therefore very pleased to do a 93.27sec run on my fourth go. It was a good workout for the Toyo T1-R tyres I had put on to see if they can match the Marangoni's I've been using since August last year. The jury's still out on that one!

Sunday was the first round of both the Guyson Scottish Sprint Championship and the Lowland Speed Championship. I was in a class of 6 mostly super fast cars (Lotus and TVR!) so it was always going to be a race against myself.

It was nice to see some of the Scottish Fivers turn out to support me and we had a surprise visit at lunchtime from Jonathan Rarity, the current Scottish Hillclimb Champion, who has recently bought his new wife an MX-5. I made him promise never to enter it in a competitive event!

This time it was run in the clockwise direction which I am much more familiar with. My times were fairly consistent throughout the day as follows:

P1 - 102.72
P2 - 102.27
P3 - 102.26
T1 - 101.93
T2 - 102.03

This consistency is beginning to annoy me because it suggests there is not much left that I can do. I'm either consistently bad or I'm pushing just about as much as I can. I've come to the conclusion that my fastest times at this track (100.26 April 08) are down to tyres - I used well worn Goodyear Eagle F1s and Toyo R888 to get down to 100secs.

Maybe as the Toyo T1-R and Marangonis wear down I'll get nearer the magic 100secs again (towards the end of the season).

I've got a couple of weeks off now before Oliver's Mount in the HSA Championship on 2 May.

No comments:

Post a Comment