Tuesday 12 August 2008

Kames Sprint - 3 August

Kames 3 August 2008
Photo by SkinnyDoug


I just realised that I hadn't posted a report about my latest sprint outing. Such was the excitement of getting a trophy at Elvington that I plain forgot!

Anyway, there wasn't a whole lot of good news to report. The weather started very iffy but cleared up later in the day and I was up against the usual seriously quick competion of the Exige S of Graeme Bremner/Jennifer Clyne plus a very nicely sorted S1 Elise (Michael Stout). Making a welcome return was the Porsche Boxster S of Melvyn Hartley with the class being joined by a beastly TVR Griffith 500.

So, having the lowest power to weight ratio by a long shot, I didn't hold out much hope. I was hoping to get in a decent time close to my personal best of 100.26 secs set back in April at the first meet of the year.

Kames 3 August 2008
Photo by SkinnyDoug

However, it was not to be. The best I could manage was a low 102 secs which bagged me 4th out of 5 in class. Can you guess who I managed to beat?

Well, it was the Griff! It was just a bit too much of a handful around the twisty confines of Kames and he had a hard time keeping it on the track (and failed on a couple of occasions). The Boxster managed a 101sec run so I wasn't far off him.

There was a good spectator turnout and it was nice that several folk came up during the day and asked about the car. A couple expressed an interest in getting MX-5s which is good to hear.

SkinnyDoug posted some good pictures on his web gallery. I've pinched the best ones of me for the site (hope he don't mind!)

I've been invited to a couple of classic car shows over the next two weekends - first up the Cumbria Classic Car Show at Dalemain, near Penrith on Sat 17th - then Culzean Autoclassica on 23 August.

Next competitive outing is at Forrestburn on 24th August. The end of the season approaches...........

No comments:

Post a Comment