Sunday 12 July 2009

Second at Scammonden

12/07/2009

Scammonden Dam is an interesting place for a hillclimb. The M62 motorway goes right over the top of the dam and the hillclimb takes place on the service road. The start is at the base of the dam and the route, although short, is very steep.

This was round 4 of the TJ Services Northern Speed Championship and I was looking for 10 points to put me squarely in the lead. I was also looking to beat my best time from last year of 31.06 seconds.

The other championship class R2 contenders were Steve Palmer (Honda Civic), Dave Exton (MR2) and Chris Harris (Elise). The MGF of Paul Rigg/Dennis Hope was not there due to racing commitments. It was nice to see Chris back in the saddle after a long lay-off (although he is going to be tough to beat!).

My two practice runs were not great - 32.96 and 32.34 - well down on last year and the other guys were pushing hard.

Timed runs got progressively better - I just couldn't manage the start very well - but I went from 32.21secs down to a respectable 30.71secs on my last (seventh!) run. That was enough to secure second in my class on the day - beaten by a Clio 172. It was also good enough to get 8 championship points with Chris bagging the full 10 points with an impressive 28.98 secs.

The best times of my championship competition were:

Chris Harris (Elise) - 28.98
Me (MX-5) - 30.71
Steve Palmer (Civic) - 31.12
Dave Exton (MR2) - 31.59

I was partcularly pleased with two things:
1. that I beat last year's time (by nearly half a second)
2. that my fastest run was my last run

I'll also be at the top of the championship class now, with 32 points, Paul Rigg on 26 points. But if Chris Harris turns up for the remaining events, he will have the class in the bag, I reckon.....

Next up - Kames on 26 July.

No comments:

Post a Comment